Position Title: Payroll & Benefits Specialist
Reports To: Vice President of Human Resources
Overview of Position:
The Payroll and Benefits Specialist aids with the administration of all corporate payroll functions with oversight of site payroll across the United States along with administration of the corporate benefits and retirement programs, including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, short- and long-term disability, 401(k) plan, and the EAP, etc.
- Process corporate payroll for salaried exempt and salaried non-exempt, administering tax and direct deposit information, administering regulatory requirements, e.g., garnishments, tax levies, and support orders, and other adjustments to pay as necessary.
- Oversee site level payroll across a multi-state organization and be the payroll administrator for the site payroll processors.
- Serve as payroll backup to the site payroll processors as far as covering for leaves, vacations, etc. when they are out.
- Partner with the finance team on various payroll related responsibilities such as annual bonus preparation and review, tax matters, audit support, data requests, etc.
- Implement and maintain payroll best practices to improve efficiency and consult with human resources team to improve payroll and HRIS processes
- Evaluate and implement payroll systems upgrades and changes
- Prepare quarterly tax reports and submit as required
- Respond to all corporate unemployment claims in a timely manner; provide support and coaching to site payroll processors with their unemployment matters
- Maintain employee records in payroll systems
- Administer the time and attendance policy and paid leave policy for all employees
- Produces scheduled and ad-hoc reports pertaining to payroll and human resources requirements
- Administer all corporate employee benefit programs including enrollments and terminations
- Coordinates and conducts the corporate new employee onboarding process and presents benefits presentations to ensure employees gain an understanding of benefit plans and enrollment provisions
- Provide support, coaching, and training to all site administrators in their handling of benefits administration
- Fulfills all governmental regulatory mandates and ensures filings are performed as required
- Plans and administers annual open enrollment period; This includes preparation (or revision) and distribution of materials, conducting meetings to communicate changes to employees, arranging for on-site representation by providers, and processing changes within deadlines
- Plans, conducts, and reports results of audits to ensure all enrollments are accurate and that dependent information is correct for each employee and works closely with Accounting for audits (payroll, Workers Comp, 401k, etc.)
- Addresses all benefit inquiries to ensure timely and accurate resolutions
- Administer and maintain the company’s FML policy to include determining eligibility, approvals, renewals, and training of site administrators, etc.
- Maintains contact with employees and beneficiaries to facilitate proper and complete utilization of benefits for all employees
- Coordinate with third party administrator to manage disability claims according to the plan
- Administers online COBRA enrollments/changes and responds to and manages unemployment claims and workers compensation cases.
- Serve as project lead for HRIS implementation, modifications, and add-ons to the system. Serve as the system administrator.
- Evaluate and implement HRIS systems upgrades and changes
- Maintains complete electronic employee personnel files, records, and other documentation for employees, including processing new employees, forms for employment status changes, and maintaining timely and accurate files. Coordinates pre-employment paperwork and processes.
- Maintain employee records in HRIS systems.
- Prepares statistical summaries and reports from the HRIS involving payroll information, performance management, demographic data and other employee data as requested and as required, requiring knowledge of the various Human Resources disciplines.
- Assists to maintain data integrity in systems by running queries and analyzing data and reviewing source documents for accuracy and completion of data input.
- Generates files/reports such as the EEO1/Vets 100, annual non-discrimination testing for benefits plans, annual reports, as well as other special and ad hoc reports as requested.
- Recommends business process improvements having an HRIS component.
- Perform other related duties as required and assigned.
- Business Acumen
- Strategic thinker
- Detailed Oriented
- Able to maintain confidentiality
- Works well with others
- Relationship Management
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, scanners, filing cabinets, and fax machines. This role also leads the workforce in a heavy industrial setting requiring a sense of high-level safety reverence using the required PPE for the environment.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms. This job requires the employee to lift at least 25 pounds infrequently.
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
Preferred Education and Experience:
- 3 years human resource experience
- Certification in Human Resources